Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Stories

You need to understand that the One who is writing your story, has bigger plans for you than you would ever have for yourself." -Paul Tripp

This was the facebook status for two of my friends this morning.  Powerful huh!

The reason I find it so powerful is because I need to believe it is true with my head, my heart and with the way I live my life.  In my head, I know this to be true.  I have since I was a small child.  I was told by countless people that this was true and I believe it.  However, I do not let this thought transform how I live me life.  IF I did, I would live a surrendered life.  I would not try to control my thoughts, my emotions, my actions and my desires.  I would not get angry with the my life when I see the shape of other people's life.  I would not covet my neighbors lifestyle, my friend's children, my husband patience,  I would embrace where I am in my life each and every day and would live a life surrendered to the process of growth that God has for me. 

I love to watch movies, read books and hear people talking about their life...their stories.  Each time I do, I see a glimpse into the reality of someone else's life and when the person is a Christian, I hear how the gospel of Grace transformed their life.  It cant helped but come out, because when Christ gets a hold of your life you will be forever changed.  I enjoy seeing people in all areas of that reality.  I guess that is why I like reading blogs because I get to read stories each and every day. 

I am happy to share my story with those who want to hear it, but most of the time I have a hard time accepting that story for myself.  Why?  Because there are parts I dont like.  There are labels and "titles" I have that I dont like because of that story.  The biggest title I have that I dont like is SINNER!  I have seriously messed things up.  I live a life that is marked my selfishness, self indulgence, pride and guess what...it does not seem to be getting better. 

Here is the good news...God can work in my life and use me for GOOD even though my story has not been completed to perfection!  Don't believe me?  Take some time to read any story from the Bible about our "heroes".  Adam...Abraham...Jacob...David...Paul...I could go on.  God did amazing things with those men, but he did it IN SPITE of them.  Not because they were special, successful or powerful, but because God was.  I think that most remarkable thing about all of those men is when they laid their head down for the final time and left this world, they probably recognized how powerless they were and how great God was. 

When I was a little girl,  I would sit in my window sill, or in my tree house and dream about the life I would have one day.  I would act out "scenes" from that life.  I would play all the roles of the husband, the kids and myself and no one ever got frustrated, no one got tired, no one disobeyed.  I had a great time :)  However that little girl grew up...I realized that not everyone was going to act out the role of husband, child, friend, parent like I did when I was acting as them.  And I realized that I was not going to act the way I thought I would either.  I never dreamed of yelling at my daughter because she would not get in the car.  I never thought I would get frustrated with my husband for wanting to put his arm around me because I was so hot from running around that I could not take one more heat source on my arm.  I never thought that I would get frustrated with my daughter because she was trying to pull her way up my leg so I would hold her instead of making dinner.  I never thought I would be divorced.  I never thought I would be a working mom.  I never thought I would not understand how to teach my daughter.  I never thought I would....  BUT I DID! 

So, if I could surrender each part of that story to the One who has the power to heal, to restore, to make beauty from ashes...AGAIN.  If I could stop being the potter, the author, the artist and let the true master take the reins...Imagine what could happen. 
     

No comments: