Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Black Dog

Annabelle had her first bad dream last night/this morning....

I was getting ready for work when I heard Annabelle crying in the house.  I called out to her to tell her I was in the closet because I thought she was sad she did not know where I was.  She came in, tears in her eyes, and just wanted to cuddle.  Not knowing what the problem was, I tried to cuddle her and talk to her but she just kept whimpering.  After about 15 mins, the reason came out. 

She said a dog came into her room, was looking and growling at her and was now under her bed.

I dont know what she imagined, but this was the image that came to my mind.  At that moment, I realized that a bit of her innocence was gone.  She will no longer think that all dreams are about ballons and cupcakes and she did before going to bed last night (which is her standard answer when asking about what she dreamed of). 

We talked about dreams and the fact that they are not real but it is okay to be scared of what we see in our mind.  We looked under her bed for the dog and it was not there.  When Maggie got up, she wanted to look under her bed to see if the dog was there.  She then said the dog's name was Daisy and that it was probably a nice dog. 

I wonder if this is really more like the dog she saw:

I will never know, but I think it will be interesting to see what she wants to talk during our bedtime chat tonight before bed....