Wednesday, August 11, 2010

In these tough economic times...

I came across these hilarious pictures of cheap home repairs today.  The made me laugh at loud-except for a few I did not understand what they were trying to fix...  like the urinals and the camera???  Please enlighten me :)

But the funniest part of this post was how true to life some of those photso seemed!  You see my Husband is a very handy guy.  If there is a problem with our cars or our house, my wonderful husband is going to find a solution.  However, our budget is not in a place where we can put extra away to have money for car repairs or home repairs so when something happens, he has to be more creative than others might because he usually can't spend much on the said repair.  I know it puts him in quite the guandry on each of the repairs, but somehow he ALWAYS finds a way to restore the issue and spend very little if any money!

He has repaired his laptop power connection with alumimun foil
He has repaired a $800 broken cable in our car with some basic electric cables 

He has replaced our engine mounts for less than 1/8 the cost of the car repair shop

  
He has pulled the EGR valve out of our car and cleaned it out rather than spending the money buying a new one


He has repaired the damage done by countless animals who decided to make our attic and different parts of our house their home
He has crafted an antenna to get us free of the fees of cable television (i will let him share all about this in his own blog post)


And the list could go on and on!  He is amazing at saving us money and doing things on a shoe string budget.  All I can say that I have done to save our family money is giving up my preference of highlighted hair for boring brown hair and cooking more meals than we eat out.  I really appreciate how handy he is and it allows us to stay out of debt that I am sure we would have if we had to charge these needed car and home repairs!

The craziest part about all this handiness is that it took me a LONG time to come around to letting him do these things!  This whole issue reared its head a few months before we got married.  We got married in September of 2005 and in June of 2005, we purchased our first house together.  So do the math and that means that there were 3 months before our wedding day that we owned a home.  I moved out of my apartment and into my parents house and he moved in to our new home.  It was difficult for me to see him starting to do things on our house and for some reason I jsut did not want him spending time messing arounf with repairs.  I wanted to pay someone to do the work so I could have all to myself.  We actually had the biggest fight in a relationship-still to this day-over him repairing a sprinkler system!  We were both furious that the other person would not give in and fought for several hours in my parents front lawn over this issue.  It is so crazy I was so resistant to his handiness, but I guess I had to learn to trust him.  And stop being so dang stubborn!

I am so happy with all his creative genisus when it comes to his repairs but I really hope we dont find ourselves in the situation that many of those in the link above did and not have some money to buy the materials to make the visible repair attractive!   
   


  

2 comments:

Sherah said...

I have no clue on the urinals, but the camera is his zoom. He it taking a picture through the eye of the binoculars. :)

Nathalie said...

Amy this is such a sweet post about Italo's strengths. He is also great at passing on his knowledge. I am so glad he showed Andrew how to make an antena! Now if Andrew could just find some time to sit down and make it:)