Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Love and Logic-Lesson 1

So in my attempt to be a better mom to a 3 yr old, I am reading Parenting with Love and Logic.

So far I have not made it past the first few chapters, but it is already making a huge difference.  What I have learned is that I am a Drill Sergent Parent.  I decided that Annabelle was going to do what I said because I was the parent and I was in control.  Well....this is fine to get compliance but it is not going to serve her very well later in life when she has to make decisions for herself.  So, instead of demanding she does what I want her to do every step of the way, I need to present her with the facts and let her make a decision.  I know it seems laughable to me as well.....but IT WORKS!  This morning, I did not have a power struggle with Annabelle one time.  When it was time to put her blankie and paci away-she happly walked to her room and handed them to me.  When it was time to get into the car, she happily walked to the car and climbed in.  Those are MAJOR victories in my house.  AND-I left the house on time and made it to work early!  This is huge and really helps my stress level which adds to the problems as I explained yesterday.

I simply give her a choice between two things and let her decide how she is going to do it.  For example, Annabelle do you want Mommy to take your paci and blanket to the basket or do you want to do it?  Annabelle do you want to walk or be carried to the car?  Tricky I know, but it is working!

I can't wait to read more and try to get a stradegy that will work to create peace in my home and soul.  One of the first things the book says is that we can put the fun back into parenting---looking forward to it ;)       

No comments: